Tuesday, 18 May 2010

A tale of two harvests

Between Cordova and Malaga we drove through kilometres of stunning landscape, meadows of red poppies and yellow alyssum, daisies, purple vetches, and a land covered in olive groves... well, groves is hardly the word - they spread over whole hillsides, clumps in straight lines, sometimes there were three or four trees in a clump. I read an article in one of those newspapers written by ex-pats in France who complained about the fact that windfarms in the south ignore the biggest asset the land has - sun... well, Spain has a lot of sun! And we saw a couple of the latest 'diversificacióne' for farmers... renting out south-facing fields to the electricity producers, to harvest another golden crop... solar energy. I'm not sure what the investment is energetically,but I would be surprised if the embodied energy of the equipment to capture this renewable source is more than the manufacture, transport and erection of the concrete towers and their sails on the hilltops. Sun Groves? 

No comments:

Post a Comment