Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Staying in bed is another benefit of retirement!

Ah, I'm just having a cup of tea and listening to Today. With the curtains open I can see the sun making its glowing way over the roof opposite, and the birds flying between trees. There's time to observe nature and it seems to be everywhere! They are just talking about it on the radio, we are on track to eliminate half the species on Earth, with a 2 million year recovery time. Even though I have the new South Downs Natural Park on the north edge of Brighton, on my immediate doorstep, Zone 1, is an urban natural world... the foxes, many garden birds, lambs lettuce growing in pavement cracks... I must get up!
11am: Then the next radio programme, Midweek, was all about this natural world thing too! Clive talking about his work as a forest ranger in Suffolk, and David Gentleman, famous painter of african elephants, musing too about the natural world outside your own window... what's Bill Mollison's phrase about "the change starts at your back door"? Go to it, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment